Privilege, not a right
There are, without a doubt, people in this world who are not fit to be parents. They are either too young, too stupid, too criminal, too poor or too diseased to give a child a meaningful existance yet they refuse to practise contraception even when it is free and freely available. They will bring a child into a world where its only future is to be beaten, to starve, to be murdered by its own parents or to die at an early age after years of suffering with a disease that its parent gave it. People who cannot afford to feed even themselves keep on having babies, and when the babies die of malnutrition they just have more. The state rewards teenagers as young as 14 for having babies by giving them money. A young girl whose parents don't earn much can happily supplement their income by becoming a state funded baby factory.
it is amazing to me that impoverished third world countries are the ones that have the biggest population growth. Despite the incredibly high death rate due to famine, disease and malnutrition, the population continues to grow, showing that people are breeding faster than they can kill their children. And i can understand that perhaps they are too uneducated or unaware of the consequences to realise that they shouldn't be bringing children into a world where they can offer them nothing but misery. That's why governments should step in and do their jobs.
Yes, i'm all for licensed breeding. These would be the rules:
1. You may only breed if you are licensed to do so.
2. If you breed without a licence, you will be steralised, and your child given up for adoption.
3. Each person may be granted only one licence to breed in their life, man or woman. A married couple may thus be granted one licence each and have two children. In this way no one does more than replace themselves.
4. You have to be able to support a child to breed. This requires being employable. The minimum wage should thus be made sufficient to support one parent and one child.
5. You cannot obtain a licence to breed if you have a communicable disease or are a carrier of a disease that your child will be born with.
6. You cannot obtain a licence to breed if you are educationally or mentally subnormal.
7. You cannot obtain a licence to breed if you have not completed a course in baby and child care.
8. If you are eligable for a licence to breed and either (a) you are already sterile or (b) your child dies by causes outside of your control (e.g. accident, disease etc) you will be made eligable to adopt.
9. Contraception and family planning will be free and freely available.
This applies to both third and first world. Of course, it requires a certain amount of infrastructure from the government, but what the hell is all that taxpayer money and international lending all about if not to better the lives of people? And that includes the lives of people not yet born. If people cannot make responsible choices, someone else will have to make them on their behalf.
Go ahead. Complain about human rights. I will explain something to you: having a womb does not give you the right to breed, no more than having a fist gives me the right to smash it into your face.