the big apple
Yes, i have been on them since i left the hotel at 6:30 this morning. However, I do have to say that our system stood up to the challenge. Being on the Today show this morning (broadcast from the observation deck itself) and having the mayor of new york there certainly helped sales. Val kilmer was there apparently, in disguise, but one of the tellers recognized him. I missed it unfortunately.
You can google or blogsearch for "Top of the Rock Observation Deck" and you will find plenty of info on the opening plus pictures. Good pictures. Interestingly, i think the blogs are more informative than the news.
On personal notes, i got my luggage back this morning! w00t! nothing missing, nothing broken. It is soooooo good to have my stuff, and not try to wash my hair with crappy hotel shampoo. On the up side i did get another pair of pants and two tops out of it, so it's not all bad.
The hotel room/ apartment thing i'm in is really nice. Its a single room studio with a bathroom and kitchenette at the Wilshire Plaza. It's got this incredibly cool tv unit that has a dvd and video machine built in to the unit. That is the bomb. it's the hamburger pie of televisions. I also have cable. I'm watching some new show with David Boreanez in it and, well, he's still hot. Add to that a fully equipped kitchenette, high speed internet and an ironing board with iron, and what else can a working girl possibly need?
So far, i have discovered a few things about the states that i would like to share with everyone:
- Americans complain about stupid things, and they do it loudly. While i was waiting at Atlanta to get my ticket to JFK some woman came up and interrupted the person helping us to complain that while she was on the phone the guy behind her stood on her foot and then hit her on the arm a few times. Could she call security or the police or something? And then each time she described it again she exaggerated more and more. He stood on my foot. He stamped on my foot. He ground his foot into mine. The poor south african guy ("I think he's a foreigner, he has some sort of accent") tried to apologise and said that had just been trying to get her attention for something and he was sorry if he upset her, but she refused to accept it. The woman from the airline finally talked her down, but i'm inclined to believe that a tap on the arm would very easily have turned into a smackin her little world.
- comparative advertising is everywhere, and it's really arbitrary. Our product is great, compare it to this other random product. all the time. for everything. Like i'm really going to buy both of them to check.
- taxi drivers in new york drive like maniacs. in london, there's this thing called the knowledge, where you have to drive around london on a scooter for weeks until you know every road there off by heart. in new york, it is not necessary to know the city, to speak english, to count, or even really to drive. You just have to aim your vehicle like a weapon on wheels, and try not to kill the fare before they pay you.
- you can buy hardcopy of the onion here. On the sidewalk in those little coin op machines. Right next to the real papers.
- Robotussin is a cough mixture. They may make other stuff, but so far that's all i've seen. "Put some robotussin on it". If someone can remember where that's from, please leave a comment.
- no one in new york cooks. They all just get take out. And i can see why because the food here is incredible and you can get really really great food delivered. i'm not just talking junk food, i mean like real restaurant quality food, and cheaply if you're earning dollars. The delis are everywhere and their offerings for lunch make me want to cry. It's just so incredibly varied and the quality is fantastic. i could blog an entire post just about deli food.
- It really is just like tv. Seriously. On the street yesterday, i caught this snatch of conversation: "I must have been going about 45 when i hit the deer.... what? never mind the deer, you should have seen the car!"
That's it for now. Oh, and peppermint patties are great. I have halloween candy :)